Monday 18 March 2013

2013 - A new challenge


The 2012 season threw everything at me and I’m not sure I enjoyed it all … having said that I have emerged from the winter with fresh intent and at least 2 colonies still alive when I least checked 2 weeks ago.

I’ve taken the decision to completely replace my 14x12 hives with new ones built over the winter to my own specification drawing from all the best things I’ve seen on other hives and discarding the worst things I’ve encountered so far.  As an engineer this has been very enjoyable and has allowed me to replace several power tools as well so it must be a benefit.  I’ve used well seasoned red cedar that has been sitting in the shed for 2 years now and I’ll shortly be placing an order for some more to allow me to build yet more hives next winter now that I’ve got the design correct.

Having joined the committee of my local beekeeping association (FDBKA)  I have decided that I need to get on with some formal training and qualifications to allow me to have a small amount of credibility when talking to new members. To that end I’ve signed up to do my BBKA Basic assessment in the summer and will hopefully be attempting my Module 1 & 2 examinations in the autumn. Additionally I’ve just done the NDB short course on “Honeybee Anatomy & Dissection” and I’m now hooked and will be aiming to do the BBKA Module 9 on “Microscopy” next autumn.

Looking at the long range weather forecast we should see some bees flying soon so I’ll get some photos of the new hives being populated ..

No comments:

Post a Comment