Monday 29 April 2013

A New Start

After the sad demise to my colonies I decided not to get too downhearted as it appears that over 50% of my association membership have lost colonies - this is not an isolated incident. 

I also received news that I was shortly to be sent back to the Highlands for a 2 year tour of duty so during a recent visit I decided to attend a local bee-keepers meeting to get to know the locals; they could not have made me more welcome and I listened to a very well delivered presentation on Morphology and bee breeding which is a subject I knew absolutely nothing about but I am now fascinated and I shall be joining in with their workshops when I go up there and hopefully bringing a couple of mated queens down with me to see if we can improve the nature of our colonies.

Last week at our own association apiary meeting I was asked if I could take away a colony to look after as someone had too many ! Gosh - I didn't expect that ... so I duly turned up and removed a fairly small but vigorous colony from the allotments in Gosport and they are now in the holding apiary on the farm before they go to my new site; I felt it wise to observe their temperament before I placed them in a site where the public are near (but not close).



So actually all is not lost and I shall move them this weekend and then shook swarm them next week all being well.

No comments:

Post a Comment