Sunday 7 April 2013

A Sad Demise ...

A sad day at the apiary yesterday - I decided that the weather was warm enough to warrant a proper inspection of both colonies but upon arrival it became clear that all was not well as there was a distinct absence of any flying bees.

I suited up and lit the smoker just in case but opening the first hive confirmed my worst fears - the colony had perished despite there still being stores available. The second colony was exactly the same although there were more bees in a lifeless cluster.

I suspect that they broke the cluster and the temperature dropped - they were  flying 2 weeks ago and I gave them fondant so I was hopeful that they would get through this spell and emerge safely but it was clearly not to be.

The only positive to come from this is that I have now resolved the vile temperament issue although I now have no bees at all. Bring on the swarms !

No comments:

Post a Comment